• History

    Founded in 1957 as a commercial franchisor, Bandag has over 1,700 franchised dealers in more than 100 countries world-wide, replacing almost 9 million truck and bus tyres a year.

Founded in 1957 as a commercial franchisor, Bandag has over 1,700 dealers in more than 100 countries world-wide, replacing almost 9 million truck and bus tyres a year.

The parent company was formed in 1957, when Roy Carver purchased the rights to a revolutionary precured retreading process from its German inventor, Bernard Anton Novak.

The name Bandag comes from his original company – Bernhard Anton Novak Darmstadt AG.

Today Bandag is a global company, with 15 production facilities on 5 continents, producing retreading equipment, more than 275 tread designs and sizes and providing needed services to trucking fleets worldwide.

Bandag Southern Africa (SA) became a licensee of Bandag International on 01 December 2004. The company became a South African business by way of a management buyout and continues to operate under this structure.

In December 2006, Bandag and Bridgestone Americas Holding Inc. announced a merger that would make Bandag a wholly owned subsidiary of Bridgestone Americas. Bandag SA remains independent and continues to be part of the global Bandag brand together with its global standards.

Bandag – Built For BetterTM